Saturday 12 March 2011

Low-Rated Shows Need Lowlife Charlie Sheen

He told ABC’s “20/20”: “Every day is just filled with wins. All we do is put wins in the record books. We win so radically in our underwear before our first cup of coffee, it’s scary.”

Sheen riffed that off the top of his head. THAT’s scary. And I believe CNN needs some wins.

In this crazy high-tech age, cable news is all about being provocative. Larry King found that out the hard way.

Who is more provocative than Charlie Sheen?

Gadhafi? Maybe. Bin Laden? Assured.

But both would have trouble getting green cards, so they’ll probably wind up hosting shows on Al Jazeera.

Sheen might be better suited for the E! Network, but that is not where the money and prestige are. Today in America, the cable news prime-time people can become stars. That is something Sheen embraces, telling “The Today Show”: “I’m tired of pretending like I’m not a total bitchin’ rock star from Mars. And people can’t figure me out; they can’t process me. I don’t expect them to. You can’t process me with a normal brain.”

That bio might be a bit much for CNN, although I’d love to hear James Earl Jones introduce Sheen using outer space terminology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts